Sobel Affiliates is the nation’s leader in providing Medical Malpractice and General Liability coverage to Community Health Centers. Eligible insureds include Federally Funded, State Funded, or FQHC look-alike facilities.
Our FTCA Wrap-Around policy is designed to cover programs that do not fall under your grant, or are not covered by the Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA).
For Health Centers that are not deemed under the FTCA, programs are also available.
FTCA (Federal Tort Claims Act) Wrap-Around Insurance
- Underwritten by insurers wholly owned by the One Beacon Insurance Group (rated ‘A’ by A.M. Best & Co), a leading provider of executive protection and professional liability insurance. One Beacon has a long history of providing liability insurance for not-for-profit organizations, and currently counts more than 50,000 not-for-profit organizations among its customers.
- The FTCA Wrap-Around Professional Liability Policy provides seamless coverage solutions to “wrap” around the immunity offered by the FTCA. Consider the following insurance features:
- Broad definition of insured, including employees, volunteers, medical staff members, medical directors, department heads, board and committee members, and students.
- Broad definition of professional services, including utilization review, quality assurance, and Insurance for claims made against the health center alleging physical and sexual abuse.
- Defense costs outside of policy limits.
- Contractual liability insurance.
- Broad commercial general liability insurance.
Good Samaritan – A pediatrician from the local community health center saw a young girl in his apartment building choking on candy. Acting quickly, he performed the Heimlich maneuver and saved her life. A few days later, the young girl’s parents decided to sue the doctor when they discovered bruises on their child as a result of his resuscitation efforts.
Gaps In The Federal Tort Claims Act Include, But Are Not Limited To:
Risk Management as Preventive Medicine:
- Prior acts (“Claims Made” policies)
- Coverage for part-time contractors (working less than 32.5 hours/week) in fields other than FP, IM, O.B. and Pediatrics
- Good Samaritan coverage
- Activities/locations not approved/listed under grantee’s scope of project
- General Liability
- Alleged criminal activities (sexual abuse or molestation)
- Directors and officers liability
- Peer review and credentialing
- Coverage for contracted (non-employed) health care providers who are not licensed or certified
- Coverage for residents in training
- Coverage of contract professionals who are employed by a separate corporation while contracted with the health center
- Teaching activities off health center premises, on non-center patients, or with non-center employees
- Coverage for indemnity agreements entered into with non-center entities (managed care contracts), governmental entity funding sources.
Our FTCA Wrap-Around policy also includes a risk management program, which works like preventive medicine by helping health centers to identify and prevent potential problems and liability exposures. Our risk management services include:
- A high-quality program developed and delivered by an expert risk management staff that includes nurses, clinicians, health care attorneys, and experienced risk managers.
- In-depth knowledge of the liability risks encountered by health care providers.
- Year-round, 24-hour access to experienced risk management professionals.
- Review of health center policies and procedures.
- Innovative, proactive, and practical risk management strategies.
- Client access to forms, checklists, and guidelines.
- STAT risk management quarterly newsletter. (Provides timely information concerning risk exposures and actual cases from the health care industry.)
- Physician office safety guide. – Video lending library for viewing and staff training.
- Webinars for Individuals or Groups
- Online Risk Management courses for CE and risk managers
Sobel Affiliates and One Beacon believe that risk management resources should be customized to fit clients’ existing organizational structures, systems, and staff. One size does not fit all. That is why we customize a risk management program to your center’s needs. Additional services are available and may be subject to additional costs.
Don’t run the risk of leaving your health center uncovered. Contact us today for a free quotation and coverage analysis – or have your local broker call us. Contact Alan Labadorf, Managing Director at 516 (247-5803) or [email protected]